[design] VoIP for Ubuntu Touch

Hi Everyone

I would like to start a discussion on VoIP and Ubuntu Touch Phones.

I have been in the VOIP industry for many many years, and there is always
common problems with VoIP most of which can be other come one way or
another.  But when it comes to mobile devices we have a few more thing to
take into consideration and this can only be done from the Operating System
rather than a applications.

So I would like to contribute some ideas and start a discussion about VoIPs
future on the Ubuntu Touch platform.

Quality

Today we have more and more bandwidth available so its not an issue its
really a question of priority.  Just like when you make or receive a call,
your GMS has priority over your speaker.  When you make or receive a VoIP
call your call should have priority over your data, simple things can be
done to allow this to happen through API to suspend other applications data
for example downloads, there is no point in downloading updates when your
on the phone call, or downloading emails.  This could be the greatest
benefit.

Native VOIP over VOIP Application

I will say here, Native VOIP is always the way to go, it can have more
integration with Operating System, it could be accessed by many
applications and the benefits of things being open source the collective
efforts can be focused on making the perfect VoIP experience, rather than
lots of apps not quite making the mark, because they don't have the
integration with the OS needed to provide quality.

Echo Cancellation

This is a must have to be build into any VoIP Client, Android also have a
Native VoIP Client (Great Idea) but still today no Echo Cancellation even
after so many years.  (I wonder if GSM companies have any influence over
this)

NAT (Network Address Translation)

One of the biggest problems we have today and foreseeable future is Network
Address Translation this has come along way over the years and VOIP
networks have become better at handling the issues, but making sure the
VOIP Client has STUN/ICE support will allow calls work in most network
topologies.

Codec Support

This part i know this is a more of a complicated issue, as there is a world
of difference licenses, there are now open source version, codecs are so
important to help reduce quality issues, the smaller your packets the
easier they are going to reach there destination uninterrupted.  Two of the
most commonly used these days are g729 and g722, with g729 using a little
as 9K and g722 using 14K but give providing wider bandwidth sound give us
HD quality.

Thanks for your time

Follow ups