Re: [design] VoIP for Ubuntu Touch

--
Marco A. Harrendorf

Am Montag, den 20.07.2015, 14:15 +0300 schrieb Craig Harper:
> Hi Everyone
>
> I would like to start a discussion on VoIP and Ubuntu Touch Phones.

Let me put in my two cents:

* A native implementation of g722 and g729 would be great. If possible
in a way of a lib which can be implemented by other programs.
Furthermore, a reference implementation of this lib in a small VOIP
client would be nice.

* G722 is excellent and the de facto standard for VOIP telephony.
However, it is absolutely not usable if you are driving in your car and
are trying to phone over the UMTS connection.
In this scenario G729 is absolutely the best solution in regards to
quality and needed bandwidth.
The most VOIP provider which I used up to now only offer the both
codecs, so I would not put to many attention on other codecs.

* To my knowledge the G729 codec has quite high licensing costs of
roughly 6 Euros. For this reason, many Android VOIP clients offer to buy
this codec as an extra package.
In my opinion the best solution would be a similar way: G722 is shipped
by default and it is possible to use further codecs by the above
mentioned library if they bought and downloaded separately to a common
codec folder.

* In the long-term it would be nice if the library offers the possiblity
that the VOIP client based on the lib could be hooked into the dialer
and so on. Meaning that the VOIP number appears also in the dialer like
a third sim card, so that there is no visual different behaviour if I am
using the VOIP connection or the gsm connection.

* A big challenge in this regard could be the energy management in
regards to allow incoming VOIP calls since this requires a constant
background connection to the VOIP server.