Unable to connect to unencrypted Wifi

Hi,

I found a hotspot my Aquaris E5 (Ubuntu 15.04 (r3) - in other words, OTA-4?), as well as my Ubuntu 14.04 computer, can't connect to. It's an unencrypted g hotspot at a hotel. Everything else connects (OS X on the same computer, iPhone, Android phone, PS Vita, you name it).

It's really annoying, especially as I'd been really looking forward to playing around with OTA-5 this week on my holiday. :-(

I have until this Sat to debug it, as that's when I'll be leaving. Do you guys think we can make Ubuntu better in that time? :-)

It's hard to get info off the phone without internet, so here's _some_ of what syslog grepped with NetworkManager spits out:

Activation (wlan0) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) complete
Activation (wlan0) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) complete.
Config: set interface ap_scan to 1
(wlan0): supplicant interface state: inactive -> associating
(wlan0): supplicant interface state: associating -> completed
Activation (wlan0/wireless) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) successful. Connected to wireless network 'wireless TV'.
Activation Stage 3 of 5 scheduled and then started...
(wlan0): device state change: config -> ip-config (reason 'none') [50 70 0]
Activation (wlan0) Beginning DHCPv4 transaction (timeout in 45 seconds)
dhclient started with pid ...
Activation (wlan0) Stage 3 of 5 (IP Configure Start) complete.
DHCPv4 state changed nbi -> preinit
<warn> (wlan0) DHCPv4 request timed out.
(wlan0) canceled DHCP transaction, DHCP client pid ...
Activation (wlan0) Stage 4 of 5 (IPv4 Configure Timeout) cheduled... started... complete.
(wlan0): supplicant interface state: completed -> disconnected
(wlan0): supplicant interface state: disconnected -> scanning
(wlan0): supplicant interface state: scanning -> associating
(wlan0): supplicant interface state: associating -> completed
(5 minutes later)
(wlan0): supplicant interface state: completed -> disconnected
(wlan0): supplicant interface state: disconnected -> scanning
(wlan0): supplicant interface state: scanning -> associating
(wlan0): supplicant interface state: associating -> completed
(etc)

Desktop Ubuntu does a similar thing: sending out DHCP requests and seemingly never receiving a response.

Any ideas how to debug this in more detail?

Thanks,

--
Dominik

Follow ups