Re: Unable to connect to unencrypted Wifi

On 07/21/2015 05:31 AM, Dominik Wnęk wrote:
Hi,

I found a hotspot my Aquaris E5 (Ubuntu 15.04 (r3) - in other words,
OTA-4?), as well as my Ubuntu 14.04 computer, can't connect to. It's an
unencrypted g hotspot at a hotel. Everything else connects (OS X on the
same computer, iPhone, Android phone, PS Vita, you name it).

It's really annoying, especially as I'd been really looking forward to
playing around with OTA-5 this week on my holiday. :-(

I have until this Sat to debug it, as that's when I'll be leaving. Do
you guys think we can make Ubuntu better in that time? :-)

Sure...

How is the signal strength of the hotspot? Have you tried to see whether location effects your ability to connect?

It's hard to get info off the phone without internet, so here's _some_
of what syslog grepped with NetworkManager spits out:

Activation (wlan0) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) complete
Activation (wlan0) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) complete.
Config: set interface ap_scan to 1
(wlan0): supplicant interface state: inactive -> associating
(wlan0): supplicant interface state: associating -> completed
Activation (wlan0/wireless) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) successful.
Connected to wireless network 'wireless TV'.
Activation Stage 3 of 5 scheduled and then started...
(wlan0): device state change: config -> ip-config (reason 'none') [50 70 0]
Activation (wlan0) Beginning DHCPv4 transaction (timeout in 45 seconds)
dhclient started with pid ...
Activation (wlan0) Stage 3 of 5 (IP Configure Start) complete.
DHCPv4 state changed nbi -> preinit
<warn> (wlan0) DHCPv4 request timed out.
(wlan0) canceled DHCP transaction, DHCP client pid ...
Activation (wlan0) Stage 4 of 5 (IPv4 Configure Timeout) cheduled...
started... complete.
(wlan0): supplicant interface state: completed -> disconnected
(wlan0): supplicant interface state: disconnected -> scanning
(wlan0): supplicant interface state: scanning -> associating
(wlan0): supplicant interface state: associating -> completed
(5 minutes later)
(wlan0): supplicant interface state: completed -> disconnected
(wlan0): supplicant interface state: disconnected -> scanning
(wlan0): supplicant interface state: scanning -> associating
(wlan0): supplicant interface state: associating -> completed
(etc)

Desktop Ubuntu does a similar thing: sending out DHCP requests and
seemingly never receiving a response.

Any ideas how to debug this in more detail?

You can enable verbose debug logs in NM with the following command-line:

sudo nmcli general logging level debug domains wifi

To disable verbose logs, use:

sudo nmcli general logging level info domains DEFAULT

I'd also suggest reporting a NM bug and getting the requisite information ( ie. syslog, output of 'system-image-cli -i', ... ) in the bug vs. trying to do so in this email thread.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+filebug

Regards,
/tony