Re: [design] VoIP for Ubuntu Touch

Hi Marco

I total agree with you regarding the codecs, g729 is a great codec but
there is now an open source versions that seems to work fine

https://www.linphone.org/technical-corner/bcg729/overview

Regarding power consumption but i think this is more about GSM data than
wifi, 3G and 4G have much higher frequencies and these signals have a
harder time to penetrate building so our phones have to output more power.

If we made Ubuntu Touch Data Centric rather than GSM centric.  Switch to 2G
when not using the phone, this will allow more than sufficient bandwidth
for notification, switch to 3G when using applications.  Regarding VoIP if
we design the OS so that we can send a NOTIFY packet to the phone upon a
inbound call, which can be queued, which give the device time to switch to
3G before delivering the call.  I know these things have never been done,
does not mean they should not be.

Have the an OS API where the VoIP can suspend other data usage while the
call is being processed.  Unless the applications is manually activated.

I know you have no control over the data once it leaves your device
especially if your using a public wifi, but here we can try to be a little
smarter, when we are using wifi, lets do background checks to see if there
is packet loss or latency, if there is lets set the VoIP client to reply
480 Temporarily Unavailable and then the carrier can deliver the call to
the GSM as backup.  Im sure you get the idea..

At the end of the day its about making the experience of VoIP more
pleasurable, doing everything in our power to make sure the quality of the
call is paramount.

The world is moving to data, more and more people are looking for bigger
data packages, data only networks appearing all over the world with 4G,
Business are switching to VOIP because of its many benefits.

If we build the functionality into Ubuntu Touch, then VoIP companies can
start to change there network to take full advantage of an OS that is data
centric.

But we have to get the OS right first.

Craig