Re: Fwd: Battery life when playing audio/videos

* Jim Hodapp <jim.hodapp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >   First issue is music playback, using about 16% of CPU. And
> >   so using too much battery, this need to be fixed.
>
> This is actually pretty low and is not really the source of
> your battery drain.  Try your test again but just do music
> playback and no video and see how much your battery goes down.

We've got music power tests running on each build these days.  On
the MX4 it shows about 212mA average playing through the built-in
speaker, or (IIRC) about 180mA through headphones.  This works
out to about 14.6 hours or 17.2 hours of play time.

> This is definitely what ate your battery charge as when playing
> YouTube videos from the browser that's doing full software
> decoding of the stream with no hardware assistance. Thus it's
> going to be pretty inefficient. Work is in progress right now
> to bring full hardware accelerated video playback to all videos
> played through the browser.

Video power tests run on each build too, but not in a browser.
That might be a good thing to add.  My manual tests show nearly
twice as much power used in youtube (720p) as for local videos
(1080p).  For local videos, it works out to about 6 hours.

-- Selene