Re: General Slowness after OTA-6 update

On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 3:17 PM, Sergio Schvezov <
sergio.schvezov@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 9:31 AM, Alan Pope <alan.pope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jim,
>>
>> On 8 September 2015 at 13:24, Jim Hodapp <jim.hodapp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>> > Or couldn't we just deprioritize apport as a process so that it can't
>> use up
>> > all of the CPU and truly make it a background task. Is there any reason
>> why
>> > apport would need normal priority while running?
>> >

>> The result could be worse.
>>
>> If for example Unity8/Mir crashes, then while apport does its business
>> the shell isn't available (obviously, as it's just crashed) and
>> doesn't restart until after apport is done. This likely results in the
>> user seeing longer periods of "lock up" and will more likely reboot
>> the device (the only remedial measure they can take) almost certainly
>> resulting in an unusable crash dump, leading to us having no way to
>> determine the reason for the initial crash.

I think we should at the very least warn the user that the phone is
uploading crash reports or generating core dumps, so that he at least knows
we're slowing down the system on purpose.

I would still think, though, that it makes more sense to get a few
corrupted crash dumps than to lock every phone so often just because things
fall apart.