Re: How the OTA works in detail?

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 08:16:45PM +0200, Matthias Apitz wrote:

> > > Thanks for your answer; I have calculated the above file names with:

> > > $ ubuntu-device-flash query --device=krillin --channel=ubuntu-touch/stable/bq-aquaris.en --show-image

> > > How dow I have to calculate the names for the delta files for r24 to r25?

> > I wasn't familiar with the ubuntu-device-flash query --show-image command.
> > You can find these details manually by looking in the index.json files on
> > https://system-image.ubuntu.com for the relevant channel.

> Thanks. I have checked the delta-files as well and I see no reason how
> the target file /etc/system-image/channel.ini could end up with length zero
> in my wife's BQ E4.5 after the update from r24 to r25 on September 13. See
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/canonical-devices-system-image/+bug/1495207

> Something magic, maybe due to the day 13 :-(

Zeroing out of the channel file should never be a result of a problem with
the delta itself, since this file is not in the delta to begin with but is
provided by the system-image server in the "version" tarball.  For the image
you're talking about, this is
<http://system-image.ubuntu.com/buntu-touch/stable/bq-aquaris.en/krillin/version-25.tar.xz>,
which you can see contains a non-empty etc/system-image/channel.ini file.

Like everything in the system image update, this file is unpacked from the
recovery partition to minimize the danger of filesystem corruption.  It
sounds like something corrupted the filesystem for you anyway, in spite of
these efforts to make it safe.  This may be a bug in the upgrader, though by
its nature such a bug is hard to identify after the fact.  If yours is the
only report of this happening, maybe you were the unlucky winner of a cosmic
ray.  If we see any more than one report of this, then we should assume that
there *is* a serious unknown bug in the upgrader and the bug should be
investigated.

slangasek@xxxxxxxxxx                                     vorlon@xxxxxxxxxx