Re: Does Ubuntu Touch support self-hosting?

Every program available in the Ubuntu archives for the armhf architecture
can be run on your phone (though you are going to run into issues with GUI
programs). I've been compiling my stuff on my phone for quite some time now.
However, the cross-compilation setup for Ubuntu SDK apps is really straight
forward and way more comfortable than any compilation on the phone itself.
Additionally, installing additional debian packages on the phone requires a
writable system image which means that your phone can break when you
install OTA updates in the future. (To prevent that, you can reflash the
phone to its previous state with a read-only system partition but that also
means that the additional packages you installed will be removed from the
phone again.) You could also set up a chroot on the phone for compiling
stuff though.

Is there any specific reason why you need to compile the software on the
phone itself?

Am Samstag, 19. September 2015 schrieb Bob Summerwill :
> I have just bought a Meizu MX4 Ubuntu Edition.  It is one of my target
platforms for porting of the Ethereum Light Client.  See
http://doublethink.co.

> This is my first Ubuntu Touch development, though I have done some
Firefox OS, Tizen and Sailfish.

> Does Ubuntu Touch support self-hosting or only cross-compilation from
Ubuntu desktop?   In the simplest form, I am asking whether GCC can be run
on-target.  Thanks!