Re: Dekko Performance

Hi Marcus,

On Mon, 21 Sep, 2015 at 9:11 AM, Marcus Moeller <marcus.moeller@xxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all. I am trying to use Dekko as this seems to be the only non-GMail mail client available. It works in general but performance is very poor. To me it seems that it re-polls all the mails on every request instead of caching the content that has already been downloaded. I am using gmx and never had issues on other platforms but with Dekko Timeouts appear regularly. Then I have to close the application and re-open it in order to make it work again.

I would be very surprised if Dekko is re-fetching all mail on every request, all requests are cached and the cache is checked first before making any requests. To see if it is re-fetching on every request you can check the imap log under ~/.cache/dekko.dekkoproject/logs/IMAP/.

The time outs are a side affect of getting suspended while in an IDLE connection. We purposefully don't kill this connection when being suspended as the user may only be temporarily navigating away from the app, for instance when opening an image attachment in the gallery app or viewing a document. This means when the user navigates back we can carry on as if we were never suspended. Now the downside to this is we have no way of knowing how long the user is going to be away from the app and the connection might get terminated by the server/gateway for no activity, and we have no way to resolve it but to inform the user we hit this error and re-kick a new connection. You shouldn't need to restart the app though, that sounds like a bug.

I also wonder why checking for new mails takes so long?

The actual checking for mail should take a very short amount of time, the issue depends more on whether we already have a connection and if not then we need to create one, check that our cached data is still valid, find out what's new and then fetch it. The reason this can seem slow is because other clients would usually be doing this in the background and it would only need to update the UI when it is re-focused. This could probably be made faster, but in my opinion it isn't slow :-)

I have read some news that in the future it should be possible to check for mails in background which might improve the situation. Does one know the status of this effort?

I've not heard such news, could you provide a link to where you read this? I would certainly welcome it, but I'm not sure it would happen any time soon. Well not without tweak geek anyway.

Cheers

Dan