Re: Contact sync (call for testing)

hi,

Am Dienstag, den 22.09.2015, 14:07 +0200 schrieb Michael Zanetti:

> On 21.09.2015 21:15, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > Am Montag, den 21.09.2015, 15:48 -0300 schrieb Renato Filho:
> >> Hi list,
> >>
> >> We are about to land a new architecture for our contact sync. And it
> >> involves a lot of changes on the current service. Because of that we
> >> would like some help from our community to help us testing it before
> >> it lands.
> >
> > so this is the third time somebody sends a "call for testing" mail to
> > the public ML without any warning.
> >
> > can we pretty please make sure there is a gigantic red blinking
> > disclaimer at the top of such mails that your phone *needs* to be
> > re-flashed cleanly after such a test *and* that the writability needs to
> > be reverted manually (a --wipe flash will *not* unset it, you need to
> > --bootstrap or manually remove the writable flag on disk). this is a
> > general support list, so we have normal users.
> > while i agree we need to get some real-life testing from willing people
> > we really need to make sure they understand the risks, using the citrain
> > tool or installing silo packages manually breaks any possible upgrade
> > path, a clean re-flash is unavoidable after such a test run ...
>
> How about adding that warning to the citrain tool instead, or any other
> tool that breaks upgrades?

well, half the instructions in this thread don't use the citrain tool
but are manual install instructions for the silo PPA ... phone users
also might not necessarily use ubuntu at all on their host system (and
this not the citrain tool) so in that case it wouldnt help ... it would
really be better to make it clear in the mail (no opposition to add a
warning to citrain additionally indeed).

ciao
	oli