Re: Mutitasking (was Owncloud App?)

On Sun, 2015-10-04 at 05:12 +0200, Sturm Flut wrote:

> On 10/04/2015 04:27 AM, Ted Gould wrote:
> >
> > There is really no reason in this case, this is clearly a case of
> > getting the cloud service to send push notifications. And for OwnCloud
> > that could be as simple as a plugin for OwnCloud. Here's a diagram on
> > how it should work:
> >
> > http://www.slideshare.net/tedgould/ubuntu-application-lifecycle-51978547/27
>

> I have three comments/questions about this:
>
> - Cloud synchronisation services also check the local phone for changes
> in the background and sync them to the server. This design looks
> unidirectional to me at first sight, but most likely I'm interpreting
> the diagram wrong.

It doesn't cover that case, you're right. But in that case the
application should know about the change (either from content hub or
other signal) and should be able to queue the upload at that time.
Scanning the filesystem is definitely something that is bad. I thought
the download-manager did uploads as well, but that is apparently a TODO
at this time.

> - We're starting the whole "not every service will change its server
> side and add support for Ubuntu push notifications" discussion again. It
> might be possible to get my own OwnCloud instance (if I still had one)
> to do it, but what about e.g. Google Drive? Not only do they have no
> interest in supporting us, they're a direct competitor. Do we really
> expect that every service in the world just starts to support our push
> notification service because we expect them to? We're most likely still
> the smallest platform on the market.

We could make a crummy product so that it would work with more services,
to try and get more users, but then we'd just have a crummy product that
no one would want to use. (see Android app emulation discussion for more
info)

> - What about P2P services like Syncthing that do not have a server
> instance that could generate push notifications.

Sure, for P2P you'd have to have something running in the background to
automatic discovery and figuring out the diffs and polling the other
hosts. I'd have a hard time getting excited about such a use-case, but
it could be one.

Ted