Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New train feature

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 8:26 AM, Olivier Tilloy
<olivier.tilloy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 5:23 PM, Marco Trevisan
> <marco.trevisan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Il 20/10/2015 21:58, Robert Park ha scritto:
>>> The train build job, when run with the default parameters, now detects
>>> which MPs have new commits and only builds those projects (but you can
>>> still override this with FORCE_REBUILD or PACKAGES_TO_REBUILD as
>>> usual).
>>
>> Nice.
>>
>> Does it detect --overwrites? I mean, does it use the commit id or the
>> commit number as reference?
>
> Using --overwrite to change a branch’s history when it’s been
> published to the outside world sounds like a bad idea, why would you
> do that?

Indeed, using --overwrite is generally a bad idea unless you're fixing
a mistake 2s after you pushed it and nobody else pulled it yet.

That said, however, the train does record commit IDs rather than
revnos, which means it will detect changed commits and include those
for rebuilding, so the train won't give you any hassle if you're using
--overwrite on your MPs.