Re: Suggestion about translations / additional small release for strings after OTA

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 12:40 PM, Ivo Xavier <ivofernandes12@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm also a translator of the ubuntu portuguese team. In fact, the
> translations process or the "process of translating" is not easy as it
> seems. Because very often we don't understand the context of the string (at
> launchpad), sometimes we get things correct at first attempt, sometimes we
> don't. And errors have a high price... in the portuguese (form Portugal) we
> have a bug in the ubuntu store (for months), because, until the moment, the
> package hasn't been update yet, and yes... we've opened a bug, but nothing
> change since.

Which bug is it? Let’s get the right people to look at it and fix it,
before another month passes and frustration builds up.

> I know how hard the devs are working on, but I think it would be very
> helpful if, at least, we receive an email (mailing list?) with some
> screenshots when new things are added. Example, the address-book-service
> received new strings to translate, how can I reproduce them to analyse the
> best way to translate it? I'm on Stable channel, and my laptop isn't the
> fastest to play with the emulator..

In an ideal world, the strings would come with enough context that you
wouldn’t need to actually run the software to do your translation job.
This is probably not 100% achievable, but in general, the lack of
context should be considered a bug. Developers are responsible for
ensuring that translators can do their job with the strings and
context they provide.

> Also, I think that, we could have a person that was responsible for the
> translations in general. Someone that we could contact if something isn't
> correct, and that person could be responsible to manage the mailing list to
> send the screenshots. Why I'm teeling this? Because, in some cases, opening
> bugs for "errors in translations" on apps or something else, we get some
> answers that makes us think: why I have a Launchpad account? If, that person
> already exists, please tell us...

This is not a generic solution for all apps, but in those cases, how
about contacting the top contributor to the project you’re
translating? There’s a good chance that person will be able to provide
more context, and that’s more ad hoc than filing a bug and hoping
someone will pick it up (which should work too, but is a heavyweight
process).
Let’s take the example of webbrowser-app. If you need context for
translating a new string, go to
https://launchpad.net/webbrowser-app/+topcontributors, and ping me,
I’ll be more than happy to help (don’t try pinging "PS Jenkins bot",
you won’t get an answer ;)).

> Off course, having two phones would help a little bit, but I can't buy
> another to use it on rc-proposed. Although, we felt very happy with our
> performance, from system-apps, core-apps, system-settings, scopes and
> third-apps (uNav, Dekko, Telegram, uReadit and more) everything is down to 0
> on untranslated strings.
>
> Keep the good work people!

And keep up the great work on translations, they’re one of the aspects
of Ubuntu that make it a pleasure to use.

Cheers,

 Olivier