Re: Suggestion about translations / additional small release for strings after OTA

  Hi Ivo:

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 11:40 AM, Ivo Xavier <ivofernandes12@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm also a translator of the ubuntu portuguese team. In fact, the
> translations process or the "process of translating" is not easy as it
> seems. Because very often we don't understand the context of the string (at
> launchpad), sometimes we get things correct at first attempt, sometimes we
> don't.

  I can feel your pain. I do lots of translations for Spanish and
without context it's often difficult to check. Sadly, Launchpad has
not a similar tool to Qt Linguistic, which is able to display the UI
screen along the original and translated string. So, what I do is to
check the related screen on an actual phone.

> received new strings to translate, how can I reproduce them to analyse the
> best way to translate it? I'm on Stable channel, and my laptop isn't the
> fastest to play with the emulator..

  Every Tuesday, a language export from Launchpad is created by Lukasz
and on Wednesdays there is a fresh translated image in rc-proposed.
But beware because the channel is not meant to be used as a stable
release, of course.

> Also, I think that, we could have a person that was responsible for the
> translations in general. Someone that we could contact if something isn't
> correct, and that person could be responsible to manage the mailing list to
> send the screenshots.

  You can use ubuntu-translators to discuss translation-related
problems. But sending screenshots is time-consuming, so I don't think
that's a viable way to work.

  Greetings,

--
Víctor R. Ruiz  | - All this moments will be lost
victor.ruiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx | like tears in the rain