Re: Copying Text and phone app

Hi Peter,

On Sat, Nov 7, 2015 at 10:02 AM,  <vampireechidna@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Has anyone else found they can no longer select text in the Web app,  for
> copying and pasting?  Is this a known defect?

This is a known regression (although the selection mechanism used to
be buggy beyond repair, which is why it was decided to remove it).
I am currently working on adding a proper touch selection mechanism,
similar to what other mobile browsers do, where you long press on a
word to select it, and you get handles to resize the selection. See
https://launchpad.net/bugs/1376268.

> This becomes a hindrance when trying to copy phone numbers from the Web.
> It would be great if the phone could identify numbers and auto populate the
> call app with the number,  when selecting it on the Web page. Also allowing
> you to add Web numbers to your contacts.

Note that "tel:" hyperlinks are already supported, so if you come
across such a link on a page, tapping it should open the dialer app
and populate it with the corresponding number.
Automatically detecting phone numbers in plain text is hard (as there
are many formats out there) and is not something that’s been
considered, but feel free to file a bug at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/webbrowser-app/+filebug to
request the feature.

> Also,
> The phone app it self is very cumbersome to use.  If I select a name in my
> contacts,  it populates the phone app with the phone number.  This means
> additional steps are required to call the person.  Most phones allow you to
> call directly from the contacts,  without the required step of pushing the
> green phone button.

I concur, I find it annoying to have to press the call button before
the call is actually placed.

Cheers,

 Olivier