Re: AllSeen Alliance

On Mon, 2015-11-23 at 15:32 +0100, sturmflut wrote:
> Am 11/23/2015 um 03:24 PM schrieb Krzysztof Tataradziński:
> > Thanks for clarification! :)

> >> In theory Canonical doesn't really have to "get the phone working" with
> >> appliances as long as they can be talked to over some technology the
> >> phone supports (at the moment WiFi and Bluetooth). Take for example the
> >> "Shine" app by Michael Zanetti, it has been talking to Philips Hue lamps
> >> for months already. Add background processing and notifications and
> >
> > What is Canonical current stance? Does that features in plan or not?
> > If yes, is there any schedule for that?
>
> We filed a couple of bugs against the app lifecycle and I've proposed a
> possible solution based on other ideas in
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-application-lifecycle/+bug/1502078/comments/4
> , but apart from that it's been pretty quiet.

I'm not really seeing many lifecycle issues for this. If it's anything
that is controlled by the phone, then it is simply a case of writing an
app that uses the right protocol to communicate with the devices. This
is down to the app developer, and needs no support from the platform
itself.

If it is expected to send a notification to the device (e.g. an alarm or
doorbell), we would ideally want it to be a push notification. As these
devices probably don't support push notifications, we would currently
need an extra device in the house which receives notifications and
converts them into push notifications or something similar.

Perhaps if there is a standard which becomes commonly used across
devices for sending these kinds of notifications, then Canonical can add
a system service to support these notifications.