Re: [idea] how to get popular apps from other mobile markets

Valid points.

Though, in general, I guess doing Kickstarter projects for cool apps
is not wrong as such. Anyone can do this as long as there are open
resources available for the implementation (which is certainly not the
case for Viber, for example; their server is out of our control, and
they are not interested in developing their Linux implementation
further; I've asked them several times).

For example, you could raise money to pay Tim Süberkrüb for developing
his Google Hangouts clone [1] faster. (Though I suspect it's still a
spare time project. But maybe someone else would be incentivized to
sit down full-time in the weekend for programming.) Or pay Tom Dryer
for developing missing features you may see in his hangups library,
which powers the Hangups app.

Alternatively, start a Kickstarter project for the killer app you want
and pay a developer or agency of your choice to implement it.
(Provided implementing it wouldn't be a infringement of any dimension,
copyright or so.) Choice are there. I think we as a users have to
drive it. It would make a favorable picture for Canonical if they'd
play a driving role in this process. (I'm guessing.)

[1] https://github.com/tim-sueberkrueb/ubuntu-hangups/
[2] https://github.com/tdryer/hangups

tl;dr

Go for it, anyone, start your Kickstarter campaign (a separate one for
each app I'd suggest), and let the world know here on the mailing
list.

Peter