Re: GPS

On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 15:19:56 +0100
Michael Zanetti <michael.zanetti@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 28.01.2016 14:21, Alberto Mardegan wrote:
> > On 28/01/2016 15:36, Michael Zanetti wrote:
> >> Funny enough, the HERE webapp is the only thing that
> >> actually manages to get a GPS fix for me. I haven't ever
> >> seen a GPS fix in OSMScout or any other app.
> >
> > It shouldn't make any difference, which app you are using.
> > It may be that the only thing that changes is how you use
> > the phone while location service is on:
> >
> > - The app must be active on the foreground, and the screen
> > must be on
> > - For AGPS to work, you need to have WIFI on and be
> > connected to the internet (either wifi or cellular data, it
> > doesn't matter)
>
> Yes, that's what I would think too. But well, not what my
> device agrees with... I just opened Here. It loaded, 3 secs
> later it painted where I am. I closed it again, opened
> OSMScout and well, in the meantime I've typed this mail with
> the display on and OSMScout in foreground and it still thinks
> I'm sitting on the north pole...
> >
> > Ciao,
> >   Alberto

Another issue, is that since the change to the notification drop
down, the gps chip itself is not seen to be enabled/disabled,
but "location detection" may be shown as enabled there,
perhaps confusingly. For gps chip status, one must know to go
to System Settings -> Battery screen.

This situation is inconsistent, as wifi and bluetooth chip power
states ARE shwon in notifications.  Why not gps?

cheers Royden