Re: [Challenge] Ebook reader

On Mon, 2016-02-01 at 17:53 -0500, Robert Schroll wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 5:07 PM, Rodney Dawes
> <rodney.dawes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Ubuntu One is not shut down. What was shut down was the file/music
> > sync/streaming/storage/store services. U1DB is still up AFAIK, and
> > Ubuntu One is still the SSO account infrastructure for Ubuntu.
>
> I was under the impression, perhaps mis-formed, that Ubuntu One (the
> database) would have allowed database synchronizing via Ubuntu One (the
> file sync service), which you signed into with your Ubuntu One (the
> authentication service) login.  If that's not the case, the confusion
> is your* own damn fault for giving them all the same name.

It was always clearly stated that the U1DB server was still up, and that
it was not done via file synchronization. I'm pretty sure the Qt U1DB
implementation that exists on the phone was also written mostly after
the Ubuntu One file sync services were taken offline, or at least
announced that the service would be taken offline. Would be a bit odd to
continue promoting an API for a service that was dead, don't you
think? :)

> > Also,
> > anyone can run a U1DB server and you could sync the db in your app to
> > any U1DB server that supports sync.
>
> Are there any public U1DB servers out there?  If not, this is about as
> useful to most people as being able to compile your own kernel.

There is u1db.ubuntu.com of course. It at least appears to be up, though
I haven't tried to sync anything to it. I don't know that anyone is
actually using it either.

I thought there was a blog post somewhere about how to sync a U1DB with
Ubuntu One using the account on the phone, in QML, but I can't seem to
find it now. Maybe Christian (kalikiana) can help clarify that when he
comes back on-line.