Re: [Challenge] Ebook reader

Hi Robert,

> On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 6:04 PM, Neil McPhail <neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>  It seems that the most useful core apps have additional apparmor
>> blessings which are not available to ordinary devs using the default
>> store,
>>

> This is perhaps the most frustrating part of the whole experience.  Beru
> is not fundamentally different than the document viewer or the gallery.
> These apps faced the same difficulties in sharing data that I did with
> Beru.  But instead of figuring out how to solve these problems in a
> general, extensible way, we just special-cased them and moved on.  These
> apps could have provided valuable dog-fooding experiences and useful
> reference code.  Instead, they're red herrings to confuse developers new to
> the platform.

FWIW, I've opened a bug report about this a few hours before this thread
started:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-docviewer-app/+bug/1540350

This has been discussed and requested multiple times during the DocViewer
meetings, but no relevant answer has been provided[1].

If a valuable solution, which fits with the requirements of the other third
party apps, is provided, I will be very happy to contribute with testing,
dog-fooding, and adding some reference code to DocViewer.

I'm still looking forward for the improvements you're talking about, since
some of them has been promised since November, 2014[2], but, as long as
this won't happen, I guess we'd probably have to keep on using those
exceptions, in order to have at least an app (other than filemanager-app)
to handle the specific content type.

As someone who added those exceptions to docviewer, and is waiting for a
better content-hub support before releasing one of apps he's working on, I
agree with you, and I believe this won't be a good thing in the long-term.

Stefano

[1] In the bug report it's just mentioned when I proposed the described
change, but I've been asking for some feedback since months.
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UDS/Summaries/UDS1411