How add custom item to system indicator (network)

I've found out today that accessing the phone via SSH from a (desktop)
computer is pretty easy, finally. No need for developer-grade tools
like adb shell, etc. [1]

To make the solution more user-friendly I'd like to integrate a toggle
option in the phone's Network indicator. Right above or below the
"Hotspot" option there could be an "Allow SSH/SFTP Access" toggle
option. This would be a nice, easily reachable, intuitive place to
enable, disable and check for the status of the SSH service on the
phone (and maybe display the phone's IP address or a gear button to
reach some Settings or instructions page).

Is it possible somehow by a user application to hook into the network
indicator to do just that? If yes, links to documentation would be
appreciated.

Thanks so much,
Peter

[1] http://askubuntu.com/questions/601910/ssh-ubuntu-touch/653595#653595