Re: How add custom item to system indicator (network)

Oli,

actually I'm linking to the most updated post on this topic on Ask
Ubuntu. I'm seen the thread you are referring to, and I have
contributed and edit to that other post, which is now suggesting a
script that uses the android-gadget-service [2]. You may have a cached
copy still in your browser, try refreshing the page.

There's also a Gist provided, which I made to add printing out the IP
address. Alexander, the original author, has extended the script into
a "mini app" that displays a desktop icon in the Applications scope
("SSH server is ON", "SSH server is OFF"), so users that prefer to
safe time using point-and-click to using the Terminal can be happy.
Unfortunately, since the script uses sudo inside, the "GUI solution"
only works when you have no password on your phone; in the Terminal
the script asks you for the password (if needed) and you're all set.

JFYI, Peter

[2] http://askubuntu.com/questions/601910/ssh-ubuntu-touch/653595#653595