Re: is this a new calendar app (-version) ?

Hi Guys,
Everyone has valid points in this discussion and can understand people's
frustration with the limitations of the current calendar app. Bottom line
is it just needs to get better, in many areas. We are going to be
dedicating some resources (from the Canonical System Apps team) over the
next few months to help get the app into a state that it can be used as
your daily calendar. Some great progress has been made already in the past
few weeks and those changes will be landing soon.

After triaging the bugs <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-calendar-app>
over the past days (131 open bugs) and using the app a lot, there are some
categories of issues that will be getting attention:

   1. The Basics: event create, modify, delete, views refreshing properly,
   etc
   2. Performance: scroll performance, time to save/modify an event,
   overall performance
   3. Recurring Events: could be listed under basics, but many issues with
   creating/editing recurring events that need to be fixed
   4. Indicator/Notification integration: a bunch of issues here that lead
   to a less than optimal user experience regarding reminders, alarms and
   entries in the date-time indicator
   5. Settings: need settings for things like default calendar and event
   reminder time and others
   6. Syncing: support for multi-calendar sync, fix current issues with
   single calendar sync
   7. Visual: implement new designs provided by design team
   8. Other bugs: plenty of other bugs not specific to these categories

I'm sure I'm missing some, but these are the general categories of issues.
Regarding priorities, well frankly these are all high priority, but we'll
be working on the basics (1-4) for the short term, trying to solidify
these, as you have to walk before you can run :)  This is not set in stone
but a rough sense of the direction I'd like to see us heading in. Progress
has been made on the multi-calendar sync as well, so don't fret! It's being
worked on and is super important, but also complicated and not simple to
implement and test, so this is why it will most likely not make it into
ota10.

And by the way, we need help! So if you have cycles and knowledge and can
help fix some of the bugs affecting you or others, please reach out, as
many in the community have already.

Thanks,
Bill