The Dialler!

I think the dialler needs some love (and maybe a grep or two).

1. Finding the contact to dial; I noticed that people hardly remember telephone numbers any more, so it makes sense to either do a dial-pad recognition (recognise letters from the number pad and suggest a contact via partial match), or send me directly to a text search field with a keyboard (which will also do a match on the name, or part of it, or maybe from other fields in the contact).

Sending me to a dial-pad which doesn't do auto-search, and then making me click once for the full list (which is too long to scroll), and then another click on magnifying glass to get to the search keyboard....
It's a lot to do while cycling or driving.

2. Two stage dialling; I use a service with a two stage dialling, first I dial an access number, it answers and provides me a dial tone so I can dial the actual destination. This is used mostly for expensive international calls (first you call the local number of the service provider, and when you hear a tone you dial the international destination).

a. First problem is keeping both numbers in the contact similar to Nokia, IOS and Android ("access-umber,,destination number" where the "," acts as a pause character). The phone just tries to dial both numbers including the commas and fails (of course).

b. Second problem happens if I manually try to dial the first number and then, after it's answered, type the digits of the destination in the num-pad. When I bring my hand close to the phone to type, it thinks that it's my head and dims the screen.
So I can't dial digits manually after the call is answered.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Eran

Follow ups