overlayfs or unionfs

Hi,

first of all, I'd like to thank all the developpers doing a great job
in bringing ubuntu to mobile devices.
I'm a more or less first hour owner of an Aquaris E4.5 and I'm pretty
happy with it. Since I've got Xmir running in order to use pidgin, I'm
suffering from the small size of the root partition. To remedy this,
I've created a file with a ext4 file system on the external sd and use
this to install a touch system there into which I chroot. This works
more or less.
I recently came across some articles describing the use of overlayfs
respectively unionfs. This brought me to the idea that this might be a
way to extend the root partition and to play with the system without
having to make the root partition read/writeable. However, I could not
find any of these file systems to be available in touch. Having some
experience with compiling kernels, I tried to figure out whether these
are available in the kernel sources, but either I was not able to find
them or they are just not there.
So, after this pretty long introduction, a short question: is overlayfs
or unionfs available in touch and if not, could it be brought into the
kernel and what would have to be done for this?

Happy easter and best regards,
-Thomas

Follow ups