Re: The Dialler!

On 24-03-16 10:44, Andrea Bernabei wrote:

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 7:23 AM, Eran Benjamin <obelisk@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:obelisk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    I think the dialler needs some love (and maybe a grep or two).

    1. Finding the contact to dial; I noticed that people hardly
    remember telephone numbers any more, so it makes sense to either
    do a dial-pad recognition (recognise letters from the number pad
    and suggest a contact via partial match), or send me directly to a
    text search field with a keyboard (which will also do a match on
    the name, or part of it, or maybe from other fields in the contact).

    Sending me to a dial-pad which doesn't do auto-search, and then
    making me click once for the full list (which is too long to
    scroll), and then another click on magnifying glass to get to the
    search keyboard....
    It's a lot to do while cycling or driving.

    2. Two stage dialling; I use a service with a two stage dialling,
    first I dial an access number, it answers and provides me a dial
    tone so I can dial the actual destination.
    This is used mostly for expensive international calls (first you
    call the local number of the service provider, and when you hear a
    tone you dial the international destination).

    a. First problem is keeping both numbers in the contact similar to
    Nokia, IOS and Android ("access-umber,,destination number" where
    the "," acts as a pause character). The phone just tries to dial
    both numbers including the commas and fails (of course).

    b. Second problem happens if I manually try to dial the first
    number and then, after it's answered, type the digits of the
    destination in the num-pad. When I bring my hand close to the
    phone to type, it thinks that it's my head and dims the screen.
    So I can't dial digits manually after the call is answered.

Hi Eran,

I can't address all the points, but I definitely think 2b should not happen. The screen should only blank if you're covering the proximity sensor, which is below the speaker at the top. Can you please try again, making sure you're not covering it with your hand/finger? If it still blanks, would you mind filing a bug with the steps to reproduce the problem?

Cheers,
Andrea

Hi Andrea,

I can't seem to reproduce it, though it happened multiple times, and I don't think it's the holding hand causing it since it occurred when I brought the pointing finger closer.

As recommended, I installed the ProximityCheck app and indeed the sensors work fine now, If it happens again I will note it further and update ticket 1493574.

Thanks,
Eran

    Any ideas?

    Regards,