Re: Telegram Push Notifications, Stickers and Emoji

Hi

On 29.03.2016 08:44, Marcin Wójcik wrote:
> Good day,
>
> I have been experiencing issues with the push notifications for Telegram.
> In most cases, they appear after a considerable delay from when a
> message was actually received  (30 minutes or longer), or they don't
> appear at all.
>
> I have looked this issue up on Launchpad and came across these 2 bug reports
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/telegram-app/+bug/1389203
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/telegram-app/+bug/1517553
>
> I am not sure if the issue lies with the Ubuntu push notification
> service, the Telegram client for Ubuntu-Phone or with the way the phone
> suspends when not being used.

I believe this is the telegram servers. I don't have proof for it, but
especially during holiday times (we've just had easter holidays) I've
seen this happening on android devices too for friends of mine.

> Another issue I have with Telegram, which has been present since day
> one, is the fact that push notifications for Telegram messages do not
> play a notification sound.

As a workaround, try changing the ringtone for messages in the settings
and see if that helps.

> There are several bugs open against this issue and I hope that it will
> get resolved eventually.
>
> Here are a few of the bugs listed on Launchpad:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/telegram-app/+bug/1421332
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/canonical-devices-system-image/+bug/1413818
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/telegram-app/+bug/1511774
>
> Lastly, I see that sticker support has been added to the latest version
> of the Telegram app, which I am really happy about.
>
> I would just like to bring forth a minor issue with the stickers.
> The sticker tabs do not all appear when having many sticker sets.
> It seems to be limited to 20 sticker sets. The rest of my sticker sets
> do not appear in the sticker tabs.

This is a bug in the upstream TelegramQML library which I've reported here:
https://github.com/Aseman-Land/TelegramQML/issues/49

> Also, the emoji support which is currently implemented in the
> Ubuntu-Phone keyboard with the outlined icons is a tad bit difficult to
> recognize what some the emoji are supposed to actually be (things such
> as colored hearts for example, which one is blue?), and the ordering is
> not the same as what you find in the Android version of Telegram, making
> other emoji difficult to find on the keyboard. It would be great if
> those emoji selections could be made available from the same place where
> the stickers have been placed in the app. Something similar to how the
> Telegram Web version has them implemented perhaps?

This is actually implemented already but hidden because the mix of
colored emojis and the in-font emojis didn't look great. I agree that it
would be nice to have the colored ones but then there is also value in
sticking to what the platform provides. I think the real solution here
is to extend the platform emojis to use the colored ones if that's
possible. Related to that, I've also reported this bug a while ago:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-keyboard/+bug/1441337

Cheers,
Michael