Re: M10 Libertine

On Thu, 2016-04-28 at 22:28 +0200, Christian Hahn wrote:
> I understand: insecure, untrusty stuff from the last century, but why
> shouldn't this stuff run in one Xmir session.
Everything that is running under the same X server can steal stuff from
anything else running on the same X server. By having multiple X
servers the applications can't steal from each other. The goal is not
to create an environment that can run desktops, but one that can run
individual separated applications.
> > You can't just start an XMir instance either, because there are
> > measures in place to prevent arbitrary programs from simply
> > connecting to Mir
> >

> Understand. And do you know more about these measure?
> I just want to tell upstart? or unity? that I'm trustworthy,
> when I want to run Xmir.

It is done on a per-application basis. So when UAL detects that an
application needs X11 is starts up XMir before starting that
application inside the application's confinement. There are different
ways that an application can mark itself as needing X11. The first is
by being an application in a Libertine container, we assume that all
applications there want X11. The second is by putting an X- property in
the application's desktop file: X-Ubuntu-XMir-Enable. On Snappy, this
is proposed, we're likely to use the x11 interface to mark applications
that need to have XMir enabled for them.
For an application that requests XMir the server is started, then once
it is running the DISPLAY environment variable is set to point to that
X server and the application is started.
Ted