Re: syslog on M10

On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 02:11:52PM -0400, Pat McGowan wrote:
> I assume its just related to the volume of logging per
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/canonical-devices-system-image/+bug/1564618
> and the roll check only happens once in a while. My log is currently over
> 200MB with proper ownership.

I'm not convinced that log rotation is working correctly, and
uncontrolled log growth is not due to excessive logging (though
things could be potentially better on that front). My mako has not
rolled /userdata/system-data/var/log/syslog since I manually killed
the 2.9GB syslog that I reported on May 13:

  # head -1 /userdata/system-data/var/log/syslog
  May 13 09:00:06 ubuntu-phablet rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd" swVersion="7.4.4" x-pid="766" x-info="http://www.rsyslog.com";] start

and it has since grown to 185M. It and the parent directory have sane
permissions:

drwxrwxr-x 11 root   syslog 4.0K May 22 22:01 /userdata/system-data/var/log/
-rw-r-----  1 syslog adm    185M May 27 12:43 /userdata/system-data/var/log/syslog

(I didn't check the permissions on the 2.9G syslog before I toasted it.)

The first entry dated May 26 is not until 88% through the file (syslog
lines 1749809-1749822/1980776), so it's not that some outlying crazy
amounts of logging occurred within the last 24 hours.

And in fact, manually running logrotate is illuminating:

  # /usr/sbin/logrotate -v /etc/logrotate.conf
  reading config file /etc/logrotate.conf
  including /etc/logrotate.d
  reading config file apport
  reading config file apt
  reading config file dpkg
  reading config file ppp
  reading config file system-image-common
  reading config file touch-syslog
  reading config file ufw
  reading config file unattended-upgrades
  reading config file upstart
  error: bad year 1969 for file /var/log/upstart/apparmor.log in state file /var/lib/logrotate/status
  #

Looking at /var/lib/logrotate/status, there are several entries with
1969 dates.

--
Steve Beattie
<sbeattie@xxxxxxxxxx>