Re: Should App updates be passed to the download manager?

On Tue, 2016-08-02 at 16:02 +0200, Jonas Drange wrote:
> On 2 August 2016 at 15:33, Rodney Dawes <rodney.dawes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > The downloads do happen via download manager. They just don't
> > appear in
> > the transfers indicator. I'm not entirely sure why.
> There's a setting in there set to false. /s
>
> Good question, should it? We're about to land a huge change to the
> update's panel, so now is the time.
>
> There's nothing AFAICS in the spec [1] about it.
>
> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SoftwareUpdates#Phone​ ;

I don't know if it should or not. I'll let design decide that. :)

> > However, the updates page must be opened for the update to be
> > installed, as the installation there is done in the app itself,
> > after
> > the download manager finishes the download and signals the app it
> > is
> > done. If the app is closed, nothing is listening for the signal,
> > and
> > sow the install won't happen.
> I don't think that is what happens. If the UDM creates a download
> with a command, from system settings's POV, the download and install
> is one operation.

The updates panel isn't doing that, as I understand. It listens for the
finished signal and then runs pkcon internally. Unless of course that's
changed very recently (though I suspect not).

Also, I think it internally runs the updates in sequence, and doesn't
just send them all to udm, even when one hits update all. I'm not 100%
sure on that, but I think that is the case.