Re: Two questions regarding contacts & SMS messages

On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 12:41 AM, James Dearing <
dearingj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hey guys-
> I have two somewhat related questions:
>
> 1- I am about to switch to a different phone. How can I ensure that my
> contacts and text messages are stored on my SIM card? The Contacts app
> has an "Import from SIM" ability, implying that it does not store them
> on the SIM by default.

Are you switching to another ubuntu phone or different?
You can export your contacts to a vcard file and share this. Select all
your contacts and press Share action on the header. This will create a
vcard file containing all of your contacts and you can share to File
Manager or Mail or Messaging.

Text messages are stored in ~/.local/share/history-service directory, so
you can copy that directory manually somewhere and restore it on your new
phone.

> 2- I'd also like to backup my data to a computer. What's the easiest
> (preferably automatic) way to do this?

There is no automatic way currently, although I've seen people on this list
discuss scripts that have been written. You'd want to copy over files/dirs
in /home/phablet and then restore them on your new phone. You can use adb
or scp or mpt to do this.