Re: Two questions regarding contacts & SMS messages

On 2016-09-12 05:55, Bill Filler wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 12:41 AM, James Dearing
> <dearingj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:dearingj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     Hey guys-
>     I have two somewhat related questions:
>
>     1- I am about to switch to a different phone. How can I ensure that my
>     contacts and text messages are stored on my SIM card? The Contacts app
>     has an "Import from SIM" ability, implying that it does not store them
>     on the SIM by default.
>

> Are you switching to another ubuntu phone or different?

New Android. I had to quickly get a phone that supports American 3G/4G
radio frequencies, which my BQ Aquaris E5 doesn't. Still keeping my
Ubuntu phone for app development :)

> You can export your contacts to a vcard file and share this. Select all
> your contacts and press Share action on the header. This will create a
> vcard file containing all of your contacts and you can share to File
> Manager or Mail or Messaging.
>
> Text messages are stored in ~/.local/share/history-service directory, so
> you can copy that directory manually somewhere and restore it on your
> new phone.
>

>     2- I'd also like to backup my data to a computer. What's the easiest
>     (preferably automatic) way to do this?
>

> There is no automatic way currently, although I've seen people on this
> list discuss scripts that have been written. You'd want to copy over
> files/dirs in /home/phablet and then restore them on your new phone. You
> can use adb or scp or mpt to do this.

Good enough! Thanks.

--
James Dearing
Contact info can be found at https://www.theopensource.ninja/contact-me/

<random quote>
Your fortune for today is:
Death is only a state of mind.

Only it doesn't leave you much time to think about anything else.
</random quote>