Re: What's the role/usefulness of the new keyboard indicator?

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 1:33 PM, Anupam <anupam207@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello everybody,
> I just received the OTA-13 update on my E5.
> One thing caught my attention is the new keyboard system indicator at the
> top bar. It includes one *Text Entry Settings... *option which took me to
> a *Keyboard layouts* page which lists probably all the keyboard layouts
> available in Ubuntu desktop. I could select layouts like Bengali, Hindi
> etc. which are not included in Ubuntu Touch yet. The keyboard indicator now
> shows these selected layouts too, but as expected the OSK doesn't list
> them.
> So my question is what is the use of this indicator *for phones*?

Hi Anupam,
we're working towards a convergent platform, that is supposed to scale
beatifully across all form factors and input devices.
With that in mind, I think it makes sense to be able to tweak the layouts
that you want to use even on your phone, as you can always connect a
hardware keyboard and use your phone as a full fledged computer :)

You might argue that if the layout only apply to the hardware keyboards
then the indicator should only show when there's a HW keyboard connected.
If that is your opinion, please open a bug with that request so that
designers can take your feedback into account :)

Now, the fact that it shows layouts that are not available sounds like a
bug, would you mind reporting it?

Cheers,
Andrea

If there ain't any, is it not better to remove this from phones? Or at