Re: What's the role/usefulness of the new keyboard indicator?

Hello Andrea,

I reported this bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/canonical-devices-system-image/+bug/1625704

With regards,

Anupam

On Tuesday 20 September 2016 06:19 PM, Andrea Bernabei wrote:

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 1:33 PM, Anupam <anupam207@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:anupam207@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hello everybody,
    I just received the OTA-13 update on my E5.
    One thing caught my attention is the new keyboard system indicator
    at the top bar. It includes one /Text Entry Settings... /option
    which took me to a /Keyboard layouts/ page which lists probably
    all the keyboard layouts available in Ubuntu desktop. I could
    select layouts like Bengali, Hindi etc. which are not included in
    Ubuntu Touch yet. The keyboard indicator now shows these selected
    layouts too, but as expected the OSK doesn't list them.
    So my question is what is the use of this indicator *for phones*?

Hi Anupam,
we're working towards a convergent platform, that is supposed to scale beatifully across all form factors and input devices. With that in mind, I think it makes sense to be able to tweak the layouts that you want to use even on your phone, as you can always connect a hardware keyboard and use your phone as a full fledged computer :)

You might argue that if the layout only apply to the hardware keyboards then the indicator should only show when there's a HW keyboard connected. If that is your opinion, please open a bug with that request so that designers can take your feedback into account :)

Now, the fact that it shows layouts that are not available sounds like a bug, would you mind reporting it?

Cheers,
Andrea

    If there ain't any, is it not better to remove this from phones?
    Or at least don't allow the user to select these non-working
    layouts, it gives a false impression.