Re: Message appears in notifications, but nowhere to be found in Messaging app.

A plausible conclusion,

However, in my case, this SMS was received from someone I just got off the
phone with, in which I requested additional information to be sent via SMS,
The notification showed that there was content in the SMS, so I tapped on
it to view the whole message, and was presented with my initially described
situation.

Marcin