Re: Introducing Canonical's Ubuntu Crickets

Hi Jo-Erlend,

joerlend.schinstad@xxxxxxxxxx>:

> But you shouldn't need an Ubuntu Edition model. You know it works, so you
> can just get the phone and install Ubuntu on it. But this would be a very
> bad time to sell Ubuntu phones, considering there are large and difficult
> changes coming. This is not the time to attract newbies to Ubuntu on phones
> as it's still perfectly possible that people will have to flash their
> devices at some point.
>
> I do wonder what kind of answers people are looking for. Surely, everyone
> on this list knows that the goal is to create a converged OS. That means we
> don't want an OS for phones, but an OS for computers. A phone is just
> another computer in that model. But this also means focus will be shifted
> back and forth between different parts of the system.
>
> For phones, focus should be on moving to 16.04LTS, replacing Click with
> Snap and things like that. But it is also important to get desktops to
> Unity 8 and that seems to be the primary focus now. That makes sense to me,
> because the people working on foundations aren't necessarily the same
> people who are working on UX and you might not want to work on foundations
> and UX at the same time. And, of course, the majority of the Ubuntu
> community uses desktops and they're eager to get a new version of their
> desktop as well. That is also a good thing for the phone and tablet
> community, because more users mean bugs come out more easily.
>
> If there are no important changes and everything is going according to
> plan, then why would you expect an official statement?

I just want to know if there will be some new phone release ( want to buy
some). I want to know when bugs like [1] (because someone cheated us) or
[2] (marked as critical, 'bug' has almost year and it's really important to
get fix for it; with lack of this feature, developing some kind of apps is
almost impossible) or [3] and [4] ('bug' for almost 2 years....REALLY
important) will be fixed.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/canonical-devices-system-image/+bug/1471666
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-application-lifecycle/+bug/1532221
[3] https://bugs.launchpad.net/canonical-devices-system-image/+bug/1494225