ubuntu-push-devs team mailing list archive

Re: kicking off: the plan so far

On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 2:45 PM, Robert Park <robert.park@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ok, and when you say "server", do you mean "a daemon running on the phone"
> or do you mean "an internet server running in canonical's data center"?

There's an app server (written and maintained by the app writer, in
principle at least), a push notifications server (running in
canonical's or the operator's data center), a client-side daemon
(which I call "client-side daemon"), and an app.

> I'm asking as the author of Friends, which is the default Ubuntu social
> networking client since the start of the raring cycle, and I'm unsure how
> this impacts me. Is your server going to be a drop-in replacement for
> libnotify, or am I going to have to re-architect most of Friends in order to
> accomodate this new notification system? Our current architecture is to poll
> social networks every 15 minutes (by default) and then display notifications
> to the user "immediately" (immediately after we discover them in 15m
> intervals, not immediately after they happen) using libnotify.

that polling is not going to fly with the network operators, and is
bad for power consumption, so you're going to have to re-architect I'm
afraid. This is not 13.10 work, but shortly after (sometime between v0
and v1). The polling would happen on the app server, and notifications
would be pushed to the client via the push notifications server.