ubuntu-push-devs team mailing list archive

Re: Device ID

Will this work on desktops? What happens if we use imei?

Notifications should be platform independent. Maybe we also want to keep
them consistent even if the hardware changes?

If the device id changes, we need to re create the queues, as this is like
having a new device. How do we tell the apps to re create the queues? Can
we assume the device id never changes? What happens with the old id if it
changes? Will we keep receiving and storing (for a ttl) messages for that
device?

Maybe we need to encapsulate some logic or provide documentation about the
pattern:

device_id = get_device_id()
stored_id = get_stored_device_id() # stored in app space, returns a null
value if nothing stored
if device_id != stored_id: # first time we run this or the device id changed
    token = create_queue()
    send_token_to_3rd_party_server(token)

maybe even some code to delete the old queues.

Lucio.