ubuntu-tablet team mailing list archive

Re: design

1. Perhaps leave the default clock application in the panel, but allow various widgets on the home screen/desktop.  Maemo, Android, Symbian, etc. all allow for this.  Some people like to be greeted with a big huge clock, others prefer other uses, etc.2. I'd bet Canonical would like the launcher to be consistent.3. I think b) is a good option.4. I don't like the look of the in-application menus as presented here.  Take a look at Maemo 5 for an example of a fairly conventional menu system that works pretty well.

--- On Sat, 11/19/11, satchitb@xxxxxxxxx <satchitb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: satchitb@xxxxxxxxx <satchitb@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Ubuntu-tablet] design
To: arudy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: ubuntu-tablet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Saturday, November 19, 2011, 12:47 AM

This is very good, Andre. I would just like to make a few suggestions:
1. A big clock looks nice on the Home Screen, but it is much better to have a small one always there in the top panel. You can't have two clocks either; it just looks strange. Maybe different top menus for Home Screen and applications screens?

2. I like your conception of the Launcher, but I think Canonical would prefer that it functioned more like the Launcher on Ubuntu desktop.
3. The mail launcher entry doesn't work for me. There isn't enough space to show anything useful. Either:

a) It only shows an unread message count, and brings up the mail application when you tap it, or
b) There is an indicator in the notification area, and the Mail application works by swiping down on the top panel, just like Android.

4. Are we going to have in-application settings? How complex will these be? Will we, like iOS, have all preferences housed in one Settings application?

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 6:57 AM, cm-t <arudy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Le 18/11/2011 20:18, Paul Bowman a écrit :

> Hello.

> Here is my vision of the Ubuntu Tablet.

> PDF version:

> http://ubuntuone.com/7MMctVfIPKA2Ig40nmUI5e

> ODT and XCF sources:

> http://ubuntuone.com/7FB825krqbCVNyMMPcjJgU

> http://ubuntuone.com/5f9jpCcY4Id8OdNL34VCeW

Hi

there are somme good idea in the design, but imho, we should stay close

to unity. User should not must have re-learn how to use the device and

many area like lens are missing (and i think it is a good potential for

the futur off unity like use as feed reader or server-list/score of you

game…).

I hope i am not discouraging you.

Librement

ps: «sorry for my english too» ^^