ubuntu-tablet team mailing list archive

Re: Setting Out Design Goals

Hi John,

I think the main issue is where does the tablet version of Unity/Ubuntu
sit with regards to the phone/desktop versions.
For example, the touch gestures one the Ubuntu Phone look fantastic and
would work equally well on tablets.
On the other hand, the single maximised window concept is less
appealing. Definitely for a majority of applications, maximised is
preferable on a tablet (with the exception of windows which are small by
definition, e.g. calculator), but users should not be prevented from
placing windows just as they do on the desktop.

Personally as a starting list of features to take from phone/desktop:
Phone:
    Touch gestures
    Easier access to indicators
    Auto hide launcher and gesture to show launcher/dash
    Minimised/Not visible windows should have processes paused/cached

Desktop:
    Ability to place windows "Always on Top"
    Ability to place windows at desired size/position
    Compiz Grid plugin (automatically occupy half of screen)
    Windows are open until closed and can be closed (different from
android behaviour)

Additions:
    Ability to use Grid plugin to place windows in a quarter of the
screen by dragging alone
    Minimised/Not visible windows should not have processes paused if
they are completing a progress action (downloading a file etc)
    Detection of natural size of window and placement accordingly (e.g.
Firefox: maximised; Calculator: not maximised;)

These are all features up for discussion

As regards Ubuntu on the Nexus 7, it is a full replacement, following
the instructions here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Nexus7

Thanks,
Matt