Re: FileManager performance

On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 11:30 PM, Roman Shchekin <mrqtros@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My question is - *why*? File Manager gets information directly from local
> file system, while cloud storage client must send network request, receive
> result, parse JSON. Moreover, File Manager displays static icon for all
> files, but my client is uses real thumbnails.

Hi Roman,

I haven't checked your code and it's been awhile since I've checked
FileManager's code, but I'm giving my best guess here still. Most likely
the reason for your observation is the overhead between passing data
between the QML frontend and the C++ backend that retrieves the files. When
a folder is listed the backend starts doing its work and whenever new file
is retrieved they're sent to the QML frontend for displaying.

It's a tradeoff between responsiveness (user starts seeing results
immediately instead of waiting) and total time taken.

This could be improved for example by adding files in chunks instead of for
each file, thus reducing the signalling overhead between QML and C++.
Personally I don't think that's worth the added code complexity, but YMMV.

Regards,
Arto