Re: On translation sharing between ubuntu-docs and upstream gnome-user-docs

Hello everybody,

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 20:24, Gabor Kelemen <kelemeng@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What do we do about this?

First of all, analyse the situation at hand. He is talking about
"Russian" upstream translation, so here:

http://l10n.gnome.org/vertimus/gnome-user-docs/master/gnome-help/ru
(this is master)
http://l10n.gnome.org/vertimus/1182/10/31 (this is 3.0)

To me, there is not much work going on with GNOME Russian upstream
translation for gnome-user-docs, that became gnome-help with the
transition to Mallard.

Even if I go and look at git, I cannot find much activity for
Russian... The ru/ folder for translations was added on Sept. 21, and
then no more commits.

Did anybody contact him to understand exactly what is the situation?
Looking at what I can reach over the Internet, I do not understand
what really happened, and what he is referring to with git.

> I have recently finished translating both docs, and about two thirds of the
> strings were identical, and half of the rest was a fuzzy match (in Lokalize,
> comparing u-d to g-u-d), so there is a lot of space to do better at sharing.

Anyway, I think it is good if we reach the doc team and ask them how
they are using upstream translations, but last time I heard about that
is that they are imported each time there is a sync. Right now these
syncs might not happen very often, but it should be still possible to
sync or merge at least the translations.

Ciao.

--
Milo Casagrande <milo@xxxxxxxxxx>