Re: On translation sharing between ubuntu-docs and upstream gnome-user-docs

Al 23/11/11 21:08, En/na Milo Casagrande ha escrit:
> Hello everybody,
>
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 20:24, Gabor Kelemen <kelemeng@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> What do we do about this?
>
> First of all, analyse the situation at hand. He is talking about
> "Russian" upstream translation, so here:
>
> http://l10n.gnome.org/vertimus/gnome-user-docs/master/gnome-help/ru
> (this is master)
> http://l10n.gnome.org/vertimus/1182/10/31 (this is 3.0)
>
> To me, there is not much work going on with GNOME Russian upstream
> translation for gnome-user-docs, that became gnome-help with the
> transition to Mallard.
>
> Even if I go and look at git, I cannot find much activity for
> Russian... The ru/ folder for translations was added on Sept. 21, and
> then no more commits.

Thanks a lot Milo for investigating this, concrete data is always
extremely helpful.

> Did anybody contact him to understand exactly what is the situation?
> Looking at what I can reach over the Internet, I do not understand
> what really happened, and what he is referring to with git.

I'll try to contact him and the Ubuntu Russian translators to see
exactly what happened and how we can improve.

I think on our side, we should make an effort to sync (i.e. import)
gnome docs more often, although I'm still not sure how to best do it.

>> I have recently finished translating both docs, and about two thirds of the
>> strings were identical, and half of the rest was a fuzzy match (in Lokalize,
>> comparing u-d to g-u-d), so there is a lot of space to do better at sharing.
>
> Anyway, I think it is good if we reach the doc team and ask them how
> they are using upstream translations, but last time I heard about that
> is that they are imported each time there is a sync. Right now these
> syncs might not happen very often, but it should be still possible to
> sync or merge at least the translations.
>
> Ciao.

Yeah, that's my understanding as well.

Cheers,
David.