Translations meeting notes 2012-01-19

Hi all,

Here are yesterday's meeting notes:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations/Meetings/2012-01-19

== Meeting summary ==

 * '''Wine translations in Launchpad''' (`andrejz`)
* Wine developers not using any translation tool. Wine is now using gettext.
  * Andrej talked with them, they're open to use any translation tool
  * Their concern is traceability of the commits
* Translation commits are automated in Launchpad, but translations can be traced on a per-message basis in the web interface.
  * Andrej to follow up with the Wine developers

 * '''Calendar feeds''' (DavidPlanella)
  * We've got nice feeds for language packs
  * Do we want to have an aggregated calendar with all (sub)calendars?
* We need to add the language pack calendar feeds to the main release calendar. However, there isn't a main release calendar * See the [[http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2011/11/25/%23ubuntu-translators.html#t09:04|IRC conversation discussing this topic]]
 * '''Defining policy for i18n SRUs''' (GaborKelemen)
* We should do it on a case by case basis - we cannot aim to SRU them all and we should focus on the most important ones * We can bring up bugs that we think are important in meetings and then take action to follow up with developers to ensure they are SRU's * '''How to enforce package rebuilds at NonLanguagePackTranslationDeadline time, and defining the packages to be rebuilt''' (GaborKelemen) * Gabor's proposal: be proactive and 1) export translations ourselves after the NonLanguagePackDeadline 2) send merge proposals or patches for the relevant packages
  * David also thinks it might be a good idea
  * Gabor happy to take care of the exports and merge proposals
 * '''l10n of images in ubuntu-docs''' (GaborKelemen)

== Attendees ==

 * DavidPlanella
 * AndrejZnidarsic
 * GaborKelemen
 * KennethNielsen

== Actions ==

* Andrej to follow up with the Winde developers on them using Launchpad for translators. * Rundown: PO file commits cannot be tracked on a person-by-person basis (translators never use the VCS, only the web interface, and commits are automated). However, translations can easily be tracked even on a message-by-message basis and see who did them in the web interface. No migration to Launchpad is needed apart from setting up a mirror branch (if so desired, to provide more automation). David happy to help with setting up the project in Launchpad. * Gabor to review the NonLanguagePackTranslationDeadline page, add any missing packages and take care of the exports when the time comes * David to send an e-mail to the docs team about how to best localize images * Kenneth to investigate the iCal structure from the language pack calendar feed and report on the next meeting if it's feasible/worth it to split the main feed and merge the resulting feeds into other calendars

--
David Planella
Ubuntu Translations Coordinator