Re: Telegram group

On 2021-05-09 19:08, Jay Philips wrote:
Hi Gunnar,

Thanks for your note. What's the purpose with that group?

As mentioned in the group's description, its a 'Group for translators
of all languages to any of Ubuntu's flavors, remixes, and
derivatives. The main focus is to welcome new translators and to
translate projects on Lauchpad.'

"Projects on Launchpad" is a bit ambiguous. Most templates on this list:

https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/impish/+lang/de

(German picked as an example) should normally *not* be translated on Launchpad. Templates where Launchpad is upstream should indeed be translated on Launchpad. But otherwise it's best to do the translation efforts upstream. Those translations will later make it to Launchpad automatically.

Then there are some packages where most strings should be translated upstream, but where patches add some Ubuntu specific translatable strings. Those strings need to be translated on Launchpad.

There is one exception: Soon before a release translators may want to translate some strings directly in Launchpad, even if they have been / will be translated upstream, since they won't otherwise make it in time.

What I'm trying to say here is important to understand for everyone who wants to contribute to "Ubuntu translation".

While I personally  think that an additional entry point, where
prospective translators are directed to the right people and
resources to get started, would be a good thing, that's not exactly
what I see in the group so far. I see questions about how things
work rather than useful guidance.

The group was setup a week ago and is still in its infancy and the
few people presently in it are looking to set the ground work of how
best to move forward with the group before its opened to the public,
which includes better understanding how things work and how things
can be improved.

Fair enough.

Some basics about Ubuntu translation:

Thanks for the information, though I presume you didn't see the
google doc I was preparing here.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Qq2ZaISimBryqMJm29h96yuLDWPEIdqrKbNEDWOLWq8/edit#

Actually I did, and I think you have added a couple of items since. ;)

I assume you have seen the docs at <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations>. While there indeed is room for improvement of those docs, that's *the* place to go if you want to learn how it works.

Creating an enough complete translation documentation elsewhere would be unfortunate IMO. Ubuntu translation is a rather complex subject, and having to maintain docs at multiple places would not be desirable.

That's the reason for my hesitation. Sure, an additional entry point would be fine, but it should better be very short and lead the visitors to

1. the info provided by the translators team for the language

2. the wiki for further reading

rather than trying to explain it all.

So if you want to inform  about translation through a Telegram
group, I can think that you  should start with finding out how it
works. The ubuntu-translators  mailing list is a suitable place to
ask for advice and clarifications.

Signed up for the ML but my emails aren't going through.

That's bad. I also noticed that your message with a CC to ubuntu-translations-coordinators@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx didn't make it to that list even if I approved it.

I think you should ask a question here:

https://answers.launchpad.net/launchpad/

and ask them to investigate what's going on.

Rgds,

/ Gunnar