ubuntu-tv team mailing list archive

Re: My ideas

> I don't doubt that this behaviour is already present in a lot of households> but as technology savvy users, we have to remember that we are by nature> early adopters of tech so what we find simple and intuitive to use (such as> Ubuntu) may be bewildering for others.
I understand what you mean about early adoption by tech savvy users,
but I should point out that I'm the only tech savvy user in the
household, and that I don't really watch very much TV at all. This is
universal behaviour at my house, and it wasn't influenced by me at
all.
Like I said, I expect we're a bit of a corner case, but if this sort
of behaviour was scarce, I doubt that DVRs themselves would be nearly
as widespread as they are now, as this is what they're best at.

> hard to create a simple DVR program and use that for recording from an
> input feed.", I disagree with this statement. It needs to be done
> right, and really I think we need to use a solution that already
> exists. Basic DVR functionality isn't extremely difficult, but it is
> more than just recording (don't forget about scheduling, show
> tracking, conflict resolution, space management, etc).

Fair enough. I do agree that reusing an existing solution would be
better. I probably should have used "implement" instead of "create" as
it better conveys the general point.

I think, ideally, that Ubuntu TV would be more than a MythTV frontend.
I agree that MythTV would make an excellent media backend, but we want
to do more with Ubuntu TV than just media. There could be a portion of
it that would relay information from a MythTV backend, but we
shouldn't limit ourselves to what MythTV can do.

I also don't think that we should have a two machine dependency. By
default, Ubuntu TV should be ready on its own, single piece of
hardware, since that what is easiest to configure. There could be
advanced settings for connecting to an external MythTV box, but it
should not be a requirement.