ubuntu-tv team mailing list archive

Re: My ideas

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 10:18 AM, Ian Santopietro <isantop@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I don't doubt that this behaviour is already present in a lot of households> but as technology savvy users, we have to remember that we are by nature> early adopters of tech so what we find simple and intuitive to use (such as> Ubuntu) may be bewildering for others.
> I understand what you mean about early adoption by tech savvy users,
> but I should point out that I'm the only tech savvy user in the
> household, and that I don't really watch very much TV at all. This is
> universal behaviour at my house, and it wasn't influenced by me at
> all.
> Like I said, I expect we're a bit of a corner case, but if this sort
> of behaviour was scarce, I doubt that DVRs themselves would be nearly
> as widespread as they are now, as this is what they're best at.

>> hard to create a simple DVR program and use that for recording from an
>> input feed.", I disagree with this statement. It needs to be done
>> right, and really I think we need to use a solution that already
>> exists. Basic DVR functionality isn't extremely difficult, but it is
>> more than just recording (don't forget about scheduling, show
>> tracking, conflict resolution, space management, etc).
>
> Fair enough. I do agree that reusing an existing solution would be
> better. I probably should have used "implement" instead of "create" as
> it better conveys the general point.
>
> I think, ideally, that Ubuntu TV would be more than a MythTV frontend.
> I agree that MythTV would make an excellent media backend, but we want
> to do more with Ubuntu TV than just media. There could be a portion of
> it that would relay information from a MythTV backend, but we
> shouldn't limit ourselves to what MythTV can do.
>
> I also don't think that we should have a two machine dependency. By
> default, Ubuntu TV should be ready on its own, single piece of
> hardware, since that what is easiest to configure. There could be
> advanced settings for connecting to an external MythTV box, but it
> should not be a requirement.
> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 09:41, Thomas Mashos <thomas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> I agree with you that TV on demand of that sort is probably the future. But
>>> it needs to be as easy to use as today's live TV, where the simplicity of
>>> switching the box on and then pressing a number on the remote is all you
>>> have to do. This comes back to the original comment made by Thomas Söderberg
>>> about his folks finding MythTV difficult to use compared to a TV. The idea
>>> is to minimise the time and the number of interactions between switching the
>>> device on and being sat in the sofa watching the show you want.

>>> I don't doubt that this behaviour is already present in a lot of households
>>> but as technology savvy users, we have to remember that we are by nature
>>> early adopters of tech so what we find simple and intuitive to use (such as
>>> Ubuntu) may be bewildering for others.
>>>
>>> Anyway, if supporting live TV is a show stopper in terms of complexity, then
> [...]

I agree, and I've said all for a long time (not here though) that the
power of MythTV is in the backend, and that the frontend feels dated
in comparison to other alternatives. I also agree that this needs to
be a single box solution. I don't think you will get any good DVR
functionality inside a TV (or a small low power box). Perhaps DVR
functionality should be considered advanced/extra and require the
extra box?

--
Thomas Mashos