ubuntu-tv team mailing list archive

Just a friendly reminder

Hello Team,

        Many of you know who I am and that some times I can be trying
to say the least with communication.  The reason why I am writing to
this mailing list is because I received some hate mail and also a
great comment on one of my YouTube videos ("thanks for nothing"). I
was wondering if any of you have been involved in a project like this
and received hate mail ? How did you deal with it? I mean besides
marking it as spam ?

       Many of you know that I am putting in many many hours into the
Ubuntu TV project and I might not be the best person but hey at least
I am doing something. Not to mention that  , I do not get paid by
canonical or anyone for the work that I am doing, And that I can not
even afford basic things that are needed in order to develop this.
Example: keeping the lights on in my house or the internet running ,
Then there is the matter of food. I mean I am on welfare and still
just getting by. I do have a part time job and it is "On-call" only.
Meaning that if I get a call I work that day if not then no work. I
set up stages for bands also for Broadway shows and anything that is
in the "show biz" entertainment. But the calls are few and far between
(up-state New York only gets so much show biz). Of course this takes
away from the time that I am able to develop Ubuntu TV.  So I do not
think all of you know all that.  I just wanted to make it clear. That
I am not running a i7 and I do not have 8 gigs of ram and I can not
call make -j whatever  so this is going to take me some time. Maybe I
am in over my head ?  Maybe I feel as though my work is just not good
enough (as others do Hate-mail, you tube  comments ect ) . Maybe they
are just trolls and I am taking this to hard. But it is hard not to
when all you have is 3 pairs of pants and a couple of shirts and no
cash in your pocket and you are devoting your time to a project.

So I guess with my money situation and  the amount of time that I am
taking to *fix unity*(yeah that is right unity would not build and I
had to fix it (days)) and the hate mail that I keep on getting. I
guess that it is drawing on me. It could just be me being
over-sensitive. But at any rate I am starting to feel the effects of
it. Sorry for the rant. I just don't know what to do. Maybe the hate
mail is coming from company's that are in the TV business. Who knows,
What I do know is that I am sick of it and am about to snap. Like lets
take last night as a example. One of my father-in-laws invited us(me
and my girlfriend (his daughter)) to go out to eat last night I told
him that I could not afford it and he gave me 20 usd to come and hang
out. Well I was at the restaurant  I was asked many times about Ubuntu
and the TV project and if I had a card. I can not even afford business
cards sad just straight up sad. So if any of you all have any side
work or anything like that I could really really really use it. Or
have any idea's for me I am open eared.

thanks & with respect ,
Joseph Mills

Follow ups