ubuntu-us-florida team mailing list archive

Re: Ubuntu troubles (Fwd from Moderation)

Hello Logan, and welcome to the Florida local team! Off the top of my head,
I'd suggest checking out the Gnome proxy settings (Gnome is the default
desktop environment on Ubuntu). To do this, go to the System menu, then
Preferences, then Network Proxy. If it is set to anything other than "Direct
Internet connection," then that is where your proxy settings are set, and
were you can change them. If that is not it, let us know and we'll look into
that more.
Regarding your use of the sudo command, I do not yet have enough info about
your situation to know what the issue is. However, there is one idiosyncrasy
of sudo that can trip up people new to the Linux command line. No doubt when
you type in a password in a graphical program, you are used to seeing visual
feedback in the form of asterisks. sudo however does not do this, so it
looks like nothing is happening. Just type your password, hit enter, and if
your password was not typed correctly sudo will tell you so.

Also, many commands do not give any visual response when they are ran, but
will spit out an error if something went wrong. A good example of this would
be rm, which deletes a file. If you type rm followed by a file name, you
will not see anything on the screen if it worked. If the file was not there,
or you did not have the permissions to delete it, *that* is when it would
show something on the terminal.

So try those things out, and let us know how it goes. I'd also recommend you
check out Ubuntu Pocket
Guide<http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/download_main.html>,
which is a free ebook which can serve as a good introduction to Ubuntu.

-
Douglass Clem
Chief Technology Officer,
Crashsystems LLC (crashsystems.net)